If you are thinking of having new doors in your home, or if you are building a new home or extension then pre-hung doors might be the answer for you.
What is a Pre-Hung Door?
A pre-hung door is exactly what it says it is! It is a door that has already been hung in a door frame. It usually includes the following:
- Door Hinges
- Door Handles
- Night latch
External pre-hung door sets can also include any combination of toplights and sidelights
When should I use a Pre-hung Door?
Surprisingly enough pre-hung doors are often much easier to install.
Reasons to consider a prehung door:
- If it is a new door way – a new home or an extension with no existing doorframe
- DIY Project – Fitting doors into frames is a specialist task and replacing a doorframe will probably prove to be a lot easier
- If the existing doorframe needs to be removed
- There is no need for specialist equipment to plane doors and fit perfectly matching hinges to door and frame
- To ensure a perfect fit- prehung doors are a perfect fit into their frames guaranteeing weather tightness for external doors and improving soundproofing for internal doors
- Professional finish – Door handles, locks and letterplates all pre-fitted to professional standards
A word of caution to the DIYer- prehung doors can be pretty cumbersome and although a lot easier to install than fitting a new door into an existing frame, still requires some skill. If in doubt, get a builder to install it for you – it probably will still be less costly than getting a specialist door fitter to fit a door into an existing frame. When pricing pre-hung door sets be aware that, in most cases the price of the pre-hung door set does NOT include the door or any additional sidelights or toplights! This is because the cost of doors is so variable – a solid oak door with frosted glazing is going to cost far more than a hardwood door with no glazing. The total cost will be the pre-hung door set plus the cost of the door.
Pre-hung door sets are used extensively by architects and professional builders in new builds, and are now available to smaller builders for home-improvement projects.
Pre-hung or not we hope the installation of your new doors is straightforward and satisfactory.